We’ve taken on Nicholas Verge’s suggestion and sent another FOI request to OS about the international expert.
Dear Sir or Madam,
Thank you for your previous reply re the international expert who reviewed OS’s internal study on International Funding Models.
I note that the person does not wish to be named. I would like to request further details about the person, none of which I believe will require their identity to be revealed:
1) is the “internationally recognised expert (a) British or (b) a foreign national?
2) Is he or she a (a) currently employed in a UK academic institution, or (b) employed in the UK, or (c) employed in a UK government department, or (d) a UK government agency or trading fund.
3) If so, which institution, business/fund or arm of Government?
4) Has the person retired from any of those listed in (2)?
5) Has the person ever been employed by the Ordnance Survey and if so on what basis (eg full-time, continuous part-time, etc)?
5) Has the person ever been employed by a foreign National Mapping Association, and if so on what basis (eg full-time, continuous part-time, etc)?
Editing error: there are two questions 5. Let’s hope this doesn’t somehow invalidate the whole thing…
(I’m considering setting up a separate category for the IM/WOM. Any thoughts?)
Update: and just for completeness, we have asked Ed Parsons – formerly of OS, now of Google – whether he is the IM/WOM.
He responds, emphatically, that he is not. One less person…