Apologies for not writing about this sooner; we have been busy and all sorts.
As you’ll surely have noticed, Ordnance Survey has made a chunk of data available for free personal or commercial reuse, under a licence that equates to Creative Commons Attribution – you have to say what’s in it.
Disappointingly the 1:25K and 1:50K datasets (Explorer and Landranger) were not released – this has been a huge disappointment to paper mapmakers and others who wanted to do some innovative things with them. The Ramblers’ Association in particular had really been hoping for those.
Great stuff with the Boundary Line data, CodePoint (postcode to lat/long) and Meridian data. CodePoint on its own is saving lots of people lots of money – Cyclestreets reckons that’s £2,000 of money it doesn’t have to lay out annually to run its site.
More visualisations via OSM:
- CodePoint – http://random.dev.openstreetmap.org/postcodes/?layers=000F0F0FBT#
- OS OpenData Meridian2 rendered with Mapnik : http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4034/4480882167_a27652c22d_o.png
- Motorways, A & B roads – http://lists.shef.ac.uk/sympa/arc/carto-soc/2010-04/msg00001.html
- OSM vs Meridian2: http://gibin.geog.ucl.ac.uk/~ollie/osopendata/meridian/ (blog with pics)
- Contours in VectorMap district: http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2010-April/005631.html
- OS StreetView tiles: http://edgemaster.dev.openstreetmap.org/streetview_tiles/ossv.html?zoom=15&lat=60.16917&lon=-1.16243&layers=BTF
- OSM completeness evaluation: http://povesham.wordpress.com/2010/04/04/openstreetmap-completeness-evaluation-march-2010/
For us, this doesn’t feel like the end of the road; it’s much more like the beginning, where now we have to see what people are going to do with it to prove the usefulness of the idea. And of course there are so many more potential data sources that should go free – tide times and flood maps being two which spring to mind. Come on, UK Hydrographic Office and Environment Agency.
We welcome your opinions.
- The following posts may be related...(the database guesses):